Blog Entry

Joseph, et al.'s Six Cultures of Curriculum

55 comments

Instructional designers never quite get the chance to go into the in-depth assumptions of instructors regarding their curricular culture. We exist often to deal with assignment-level builds, and the theoretical seldom gets brought up. As a matter of fact, one of my interviewers for this present job said that he could count on one hand the times that he's had such discussions in his many years in his job as an ID.

So after his laughter quieted, I thought about the cultures of curriculm concept. Joseph, et al., suggest that each curriculum is a culture, with a "revealing system of implicit and explicit beliefs, values, behaviors, and customs in classrooms and schools." (2000, p. ix- x) An articulate, coherent, unified and planned curriculum will be more effective in the long run than a "melange of unarticulated methods and purposes." (2000, p. ix) Culture is seen as the "complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, morals, law, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by (a human) as a member of society"

She and her colleagues suggest six cultures of curriculum.

Joseph, et al. Cultures of Curriculum: (Joseph, et al., 2000, pp. 12 - 13) 1. "Training for Work and Survival: To gain the basic skills, habits, and attitudes necessary to function in the workplace and to adapt to living within contemporary society. 2. Connecting to the Canon: To acquire core cultural knowledge, traditions, and values from the dominant culture's exemplary moral, intellectual, spiritual, and artistic resources as guidelines for living. 3. Developing Self and Spirit: To learn according to self-directed interests in order to nurture individual potential, creativity, and knowledge of the emotional and spiritual self. 4. Constructing Understanding: To develop fluid, active, autonomous thinkers who know that they themselves can construct knowledge through their study of the environment and collaborative learning with others. 5. Deliberating Democracy: To learn and to actually experience the deliberative skills, knowledge, beliefs, and values necessary for participating in and sustaining a democratic society. 6. Confronting the Dominant Order: To examine and challenge oppressive social, political, and economic structures that limit self and others and to develop beliefs and skills that support activism for the reconstruction of society."

References

Joseph, P.B., et al. (2000). Cultures of curriculum. Mahwah: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers.

These concepts seem very Western-centric, but they're a fine jumping-off point in thinking about such things, even if we only have this discussion among ourselves.

Comments

credit restoration 5 years, 2 months ago

One of the curriculum mentioned; to gain the basic skills, habits, and attitudes necessary to function in the workplace and to adapt to living within contemporary society.is eerily reverberating as I think in today's economy this holds true more than ever.

Mobile Reviews 5 years, 2 months ago

good information. Six cultures of curriculum is important in school

cell phone tips 5 years, 1 month ago

The first principle for developing culture and community-based curriculum is that the curriculum be locally-based so that the local community "owns" the curriculum. The second principle is that the curriculum or educational system be based on the world view and values of a particular community.

State Flower 5 years, 1 month ago

i think the best to gain is adapt to living within contemporary society. when we can achieve that ability, mean that we can also comunicate fluently with other. and when we can comunicate we also can learn value in that society and achieve mutual understanding. it just have a basic concept to shrink the curiculum. cause i think the curiculum is to long.

memory cards 5 years, 1 month ago

why curiculum must related with the culture?

Eruditio Loginquitas 5 years ago

Hello, Memory Cards: One of the rationales is that a culturally sensitive curriculum will make the learning easier to acquire. Another is that it would not offend the learners or shut down the learning. Another is that culturally sensitive learning is respectful.

dtechnos 4 years, 11 months ago

curriculum in school need to be adjusted with social-culture in area where the school located. because it is not easy, especially for kid, to adapt with new environment

German E Learning Center 4 years, 11 months ago

It must be a tough role setting up a whole new curriculum which identifies with everybody. The whole process must be exhausting but rewarding! Please do share more. I think the 6 concepts outlined here are the core basics you can build your curriculum on!

Bachelor of Arts 4 years, 11 months ago

Are we talking about lecturers here? Setting up the curriculums for their students who have selected their papers as their major??

I never thought there are so many concepts behind our university curriculum. I always thought our lecturers just made up these assignments to torture us and there's really no meaning behind them! But I guess I am wrong!

I admire those lecturers who make the effort of following through the six cultures of curriculum you have shared here. It's amazing how when one is willing the result can be so great!

E Learning 4 years, 11 months ago

I love point number 4: "4. Constructing Understanding: To develop fluid, active, autonomous thinkers who know that they themselves can construct knowledge through their study of the environment and collaborative learning with others. " One of the best thing of being a women in a civilized country is that we are given the freedom to "think for ourselves". I guess, we have to really thank the education providers who has opened up opportunities for all to enjoy!

German Education 4 years, 11 months ago

I am amazed by the idea and the information you have gathered on the six cultures of curriculum. I am a lecturer in German Education and I will start my new semester year using the above mentioned ideas to design my curriculum!

Find a personal trainer 4 years, 11 months ago

Domains 4 years, 11 months ago

What a great read! I hope you don't mind me print out this article so I can constantly remind myself when teaching my junior highschool kids!!!

Thanks for the great idea and information!

Photovoltaik Mannheim 4 years, 11 months ago

The Research Randomizer, made available by the Social Psychology Network (SPN), is a program (JavaScript) that assists researchers and students "who want an easy way to perform random sampling or assign participants to experimental conditions

Water Coolers 4 years, 11 months ago

One of the rationales is that a culturally sensitive curriculum will make the learning easier to acquire. Another is that it would not offend the learners or shut down the learning. Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this.

cosmetic dentist boston 4 years, 10 months ago

The second principle is that the curriculum or educational system be based on the world view and values of a particular I see Your articles is so great and useful for me, thanks for this great work and informative read Thanks for sharing this information. It took a while to understand buy was an interesting read.

Lyrics 4 years, 10 months ago

One of the rationales is that a culturally sensitive curriculum will make the learning easier to acquire. Another is that it would not offend the learners or shut down the learning. Another is that culturally sensitive learning is respectful. Nice post,good inormation. Thanks a lot Really incredible. I just loved it, perfectly crafted.

fish tanks 4 years, 10 months ago

At the University of Illinois, Chicago, an art professor posed a series of questions to his colleagues about ways they could improve their department. The overwhelming response was to install a curricular culture. The idea is to establish a foundation for learning in effort to create a long term culture that facilitates the learning process.

Cardiologist 4 years, 10 months ago

Social change needs to be eased into. If it is forced rebellion might ensue for no reason.

Lee Pierson 4 years, 1 month ago

I have long been a proponent of teaching more skills to our young people on how to handle credit and what it can mean to their future. I hope more schools and universities will consider adding a financial course to their curriculum. In the 1960's we were taught how to balance a check book, write a check and make a budget. After the crisis we have gone through, I would like to see this subject become mandatory at some level of schooling. I am a mortgage underwriter from the "old school" and even as I was forced to sign loans under the loose guidelines we had these last many years, I could have made a list, daily, of the loans that would fail. It's a sad thought to look back on.

B2B Marketplace 4 years ago

The concepts might be western centric but then if explained and debated more openly , can have larger acceptance in the masses !

Roger Edin 4 years ago

i like your guys is logo. thanks

Kalyan City 4 years ago

Curriculum must be based on numerous cultures including local, national and global cultures. This will makes learning more interesting and fun. I must be also often revised and kept updated to latest happenings.

Credit Restoration 4 years ago

The majority of highschool graduates have a grade 4 reading skill legel and college grads are not much higher so maybe we should be concentrating on basic skills before we worry about cultural curriculims. Everybody has to learn to read and write and it appears that the majority of educators have failed in this area. Let stick to the basics before we branch out.

marthas178 4 years ago

As with anything when trying to communicate to humans - being culturally sensitive is extremely helpful (if not a must). Because many things can go wrong, many things can be said (in a negative light) if you're not culturally sensitive enough to know what to do and not to do.

And while we may become more diverse culturally speaking, we still need to be mindful of the culture of our coworkers. Until we can all establish a common culture (ie - American, British etc) to run by.

Schools, office places - wherever. Culturally sensitive cirriculums must be applied. Imagine if we had a cooking class. where pork was used, and half the people happen to be Kosher....lol

Robert Rendek 4 years ago

<a href="http://www.howtogetaloans.com/how-to-get-a-student-loan.html">How to Get a Student Loan</a> | If you wonder how’re a student getting credit, this guide provides an overview of the steps and information you need to know to finance your education.

KralCafe 4 years ago

Schools, office places - wherever.

Alex from free article directory 4 years ago

I think curriculum related culture is much better idea. Its important for every student nowadays to more of their culture. It's because in this computer era, it seems that it was completely neglected by everyone. Its so nice to know that every child knows their norms, not just technology related thing.

truck rental 4 years ago

I agree. Confronting the Dominant Order will challenge oppressive social, political, and economic structures that limit self and others. Thanks for sharing.

truck rentals 4 years ago

true: training for work is survival. Most of the times, it is when a person undergoes training, he experiences the weight of pressure for being accepted or rejected. Sometimes, this is when a person experiences the first "deep cut" once rejected.

moving truck rental 4 years ago

very important to study the instructional strategies especially with today's advancement of students.

Pikavippivertailu 4 years ago

We got Joseph's Cultures of curriculum in our Uni library and to be frank I couldn't get past the first quarter. Never in my life have I laid my eyes on such a dull book :P I'm sure it's good but it's so boooring!

Celie Johnson 4 years ago

I do like the idea of community based curricula but wonder in the real world if the freedom to bring in these sensible and useful to the student, ideas actually exists. Here in the UK it really doesn't happen, we are tied to our wheel.

Tom 4 years ago

Great article and I feel a lot of people don't take the time out to learn about other cultures and other ways of life. It's always nice to go to a different country and people watch and just see how other cultures interact with each other.

Alex from Anxiety Relief 3 years, 11 months ago

First, I want to say that one of the main problems in education is the language we use in textbooks. It's too damn abstract. The post had a lot of abstract words as well, which reminded me of the course I hated the most in college: "Theory and Methodology of Curriculum" .

Anyway, it might be just my opinion but I always thought that we plan the Curriculum to be perfect only in a theoretical way, only to find that when we want to put it into practice, the planning won't fit reality.

Jake Collins 3 years, 10 months ago

Wonderful post...reminds me of the doc "The Art of The Steel" -- all about the Barnes Foundation and his collection.

rocket spanish review 3 years, 10 months ago

Tuncay 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree with you Joseph about Six Cultures of Curriculum. As a design, curriculum implementation and determine educational outcomes. Culture became one of the foundation in building the curriculum for community life, with all its characteristics and its cultural richness pattern affects the relationship between members of society.

senuke 3 years, 9 months ago

I must say that this is a very original and inspiring take on education and one which we as teachers can all learn a lot from. I really enjoy reading your blog.

android Wallpaper 3 years, 6 months ago

Prestiti INPDAP 3 years, 2 months ago

Certainly one of the most important things for the advancement of people and society in general is to learn to live together and interact with us. This factor is also important to occupational level, a company that never work if it does work as a crew.

u bot coupon 3 years, 2 months ago

Excelling in today's creative field requires more than being simply creative. Breaking the borders with new innovations is what's really going to put you ahead of the pack.

Randy C 3 years, 1 month ago

each region must have the character of each culture ... thank you have addressed this issue.

cleaning services office 3 years, 1 month ago

This is great addition to the curriculum. Student should also study different culture. They may use that in the near future.

CarlMortgage 2 years, 12 months ago

Culture became one of the foundation in building the curriculum for community life. Thanks for sharing.

glass dining table 2 years, 11 months ago

i like this site and i appreciate it that it have a great work and also have a great pictures on this website like pictures of table it is looking beautiful and different so beautiful

chevening scholarship 2012 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for sharing the resource

Pan card status 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for thsi great sharing.

Binu George 2 years, 11 months ago

Yes, Curriculum and culture cannot be separate entities that doesn't influence each other . In fact curriculum to a great extend influenced from culture and the culture slowly but firmly reshaped by curriculum.

Top Free Sites 2 years, 11 months ago

nice post thanks for sharing. i like it.Yes. You said that you turned to art out of fear, and as a way to help yourself, but had you had any experience with drawing or painting, or looking at art that might have been an antecedent? Of course, your father was an art historian.

Lintaslirik.blogspot.com 2 years, 10 months ago

Every country is unique in a certain way. And to understand the culture of a country you must have experienced this culture. Culture is something that is so extent, that in order to opinion about it you need to be very focused. For example, by comparing one specific aspect of the culture with the culture you know best – that of you native country.

Electronic Cigarette 2 years, 10 months ago

Curriculum is an activity and Culture is a passive activity means our beliefs, morals, law, custom and so many things it includes. Both are interrelated or we can say that these are the two sides of coin. One is not enough to develop personality second one is also needed in the same amount to develop personality.

Global Visas Complaints 2 years, 6 months ago

In my opinion I would like to say that just discipline is not enough to build your personality, you also need your cultural values to explore your individual personality. I believe that every individual has its own perception and cultural values is a necessity for the same.

Onkyo TX-8255 Review 2 years, 6 months ago

For sound reproduction without lots of frills and buttons, this has proved an excellent choice. I am very pleased with the item.

Webmaster of <a href=”http://onkyo8255.com/onkyo-tx-8255-review”>Onkyo TX-8255 Review</a>.

There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right.-- Winston Churchill

Post a comment Please do not post URLs in the text of your response. Thanks.

Comments are closed and no additional comments will be allowed.